The King's Highway Trust Foundation - Historic Preservation Initiative
Our nonprofit's mission is to educate the public on the history of Northeast Philadelphia, preserve historic buildings, and spread awareness by engaging the community with special tours and themed events. This means that we must bring every neighborhood together as one community. Every single civic association, historical society, business owner, resident, organization, and volunteer who cares about spreading the awareness and preserving the history of Northeast Philadelphia should be a part of this mission. We have also created The Northeast Philly Initiative, feel free to check our website or follow us on Facebook.
Here is a list of what our initiatives include:
- Create self guided mobile app tours to attract tourism.
- Create and install metal signs along the King's Highway.
- Create and install historic metal signs to help tourists identify historic sites.
- Host colonial and indigenous themed events, history events, movie screenings, and history tours.
- Engage the community with interactive reenactments, poetry readings, musical encounters, costumed galas, and other community, family friendly events.
- Create an illustrated map of all the historic sites along The King’s Highway.
- Continue to raise awareness on historic buildings that are threatened to be demolished.
- Help facilitate the nomination of historic buildings for historic landmark designation.
- Host an annual Northeast Philadelphia History & Heritage Celebratoin to include all historical societies, civic associations, businesses, colonial reenactments, Lenape Tribe Members, colonial music, poetry, readings, and promote the history of Northeast Philadelphia in an interactive and entertaining way.
- Help preserve historic buildings if funds are available to do so.
- Apply for grants, city & state funding, and seek outside funding from charitable organizations or corporate sponsors to help facilitate the aforementioned goals.
- Educate students to the history of Northeast Philadelphia and help teachers to do so.
Here is our preservation sheet to keep track of historic sites that are in jeopardy:
If you would like to contribute to this sheet please click here.